“It will come to you, this love of the land. There’s no gettin’ away from it if you’re Irish.” – Gerald O’Hara, Gone With the Wind

Monday, June 27, 2011

i'm (not) pretty good at drinking beer



During my first week in Dublin, on Thursday, June 16 EUSA organized a tour for us of the Guiness Storehouse. And let me tell you...

Ireland is obsessed with their Guiness.

You see Guiness everywhere here, and understandably so, it has brought in a lot of revenue and good PR for the economy. That's why Ireland even let Guiness use the nation's symbol, the harp, as the Guiness symbol too, because Guiness has been such a good industry for Ireland. But Ireland did require that they switch the Irish harp around :)

the guinness symbol and it's harp

I've never tried beer before, and I pretty much knew I wouldn't like Guiness but I figured it was worth a go, you know, cultural experience, do what the Irish do, and all that. Plus, it was FREE, so I had no qualms about immediately spitting the Guiness back out.

So as you can presume from my first picture...

Guinness. is. disgusting.

I'm sure hoards of Irish people will come to kill me now, but oh well! To the Irish, you are all quite lovely people, but I just cannot drink your beer. Yuck.

Aside from the Guiness itself, the tour of the Guiness brewing factory was really cool, there was great (FREE) food such as shepherds pie and Irish stew (all delish-ious comfort food mmm) and great views of the city!



Earlier in the day, before we had ventured over to the Guiness factory, me, and two other girls from UVA, Tori and Ariel went to Malahide Castle, a castle right outside of Dublin. It is one of the oldest and most historical castles in Ireland, owned by the Talbot family, who owned the castle longer than any other family in Ireland owned a castle.



It was a bit of an adventure getting there (aka we got lost, a pretty common event for me here in Dublin) so by the time we got there the last tour had left. But as the Irish always say, "No worries!" we just enjoyed the beautiful sights and it saved us 7 euro right? And as any college student staying abroad knows, every. euro. counts. Plus we ran into this cute 9 week old jack russell terrier puppy!


getting to pet this ah-dorable puppy? totally worth the trek to malahide!

Blog post title - Pretty Good at Drinking Beer by Billy Currington

No comments:

Post a Comment