“It will come to you, this love of the land. There’s no gettin’ away from it if you’re Irish.” – Gerald O’Hara, Gone With the Wind

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Jesus bring the rain

Photo courtesy of Pinterest




Well the reason I have been in Ireland for almost two weeks now and have not posted on my blog yet, is because I have run into several challenges while first arriving here.

From delayed flights, to missed connections, my trip to Ireland immediately started out with problem after problem. I became anxious about how I was going to get in contact with the girls I was meeting at the Dublin airport to let them know I wouldn't be making my flight on time. Communication gets infinitely harder when you no longer have access to things like cell phones and internet when you are traveling internationally.

And since I was no longer going to be meeting up with anybody at the airport, that meant I had to figure out how to get to my apartment all by myself, and I was not excited about that. I became even more anxious and stressed out at the thought of all of this.

In other words, I was having trouble trusting in God. I found it hard to pray, to put the situation in His hands and know it will all work out. I knew I was failing miserably at this whole test of faith as I just remained anxious, with butterflies in my stomach and an inability to eat or sleep.

When I finally arrived in Dublin, my baggage was delayed. Upon making it to my apartment safe and sound (it was not as difficult as I was worrying it to be, of course) I immediately set out on trying to recover my baggage. After several phone conversations with a rather snippy customer service woman and another day of just stress and waiting, I finally received my luggage

...only to find that my laptop was stolen from it.

I just wanted to break down and cry. From the moment I had said goodbye to my family there had been problem after problem. Figuring out my way around a foreign city and making it to interviews on time were the least of my worries.

I felt as if God was whispering to me, "You still haven't trusted in Me with this yet. You need to trust in Me."

After filling out insurance claims, only to find that my claim was not valid and the airline isn't held responsible for stolen items, I am still in limbo waiting for my own computer, which I desperately need for work.

My parents have mailed me my netbook, and just when I thought all of my problems were clearing up, it looks like I still have more hurdles to jump through. My netbook is having problems being delivered, and as I am trying to sort out another logistical mess, I am learning to do so with more of a peaceful heart.

After talking to the administration office about my package, I walked back to my apartment and opened up my Bible to Acts 5:41

The apostles were "rejoicing that they had been considered worthy to suffer for His name."

We all go through times that we are in "a desert," but I know that it is only to make us learn how to rely more on Christ. Look at what the apostles went through! And they still rejoiced, because God had found them worthy for His purpose, worthy to glorify Him. We have all been chosen for this purpose too!

I'm working on being able to rejoice in this "desert", because it is worth it if it is pushing me that much closer and closer to the Father.

But if that's what it takes to Praise You,
Jesus bring the rain.

Blog title - Jesus Bring the Rain - Mercy Me



1 comment:

  1. Alicia, I love reading your travel blogs because you always have such fun pictures and incorporate so much of your personality and faith into the language. Hope Ireland is still treating you well!

    ReplyDelete