“It will come to you, this love of the land. There’s no gettin’ away from it if you’re Irish.” – Gerald O’Hara, Gone With the Wind

Friday, July 1, 2011

it's a big, big house



On Sunday, me, Ariel, and Brian, went to Powerscourt Estate in Enniskerry, which is right outside of Dublin. Think of it as the Biltmore (Asheville, NC) of Ireland. It is an absolutely beautiful estate with tons of pristine gardens to roam around in.

On the way there, we stopped in Bray, which is a cute seaside town. There are actually several towns in Ireland that I end up describing to people as "a cute seaside town" which I LOVE! It all reminds me of the movie Charlie St. Cloud and the vintage town by the sea he lives in. So Ireland just keeps increasing my desire to live in a charming town like Bray.

We got some fish and chips (a staple here in Ireland) and enjoyed our lunch as we sat by the sea and people (and dog - much more exciting) watched :)



On the bus to Enniskerry, an old Irish man got on and looked at me and smiled and said, "Are you going to Powerscourt?" I said yes and he was kind enough to let us know when our bus stop came up as well as telling me, "You look lovely darlin'!" As we got off of the bus and thanked him, he said, "Have a great day love!" Hehe old Irish men love me ;)

While walking up the road to the actual estate, we passed beautiful scenery and the golf course that is also owned by Powerscourt. Aaaaand we passed by some beautiful horses! They were below us, and I don'ttt think you are necessarily supposed to jump down to pet them, but that's exactly what we did! I just had to have another encounter with some Irish horses, a-la deja vu of the Aran Islands :)



Once at the Estate, we just walked around the estate and enjoyed the gardens. I will say that I was disappointed we didn't get to go inside the Estate and see the house (umm excuse me, Ireland, you get to do that at the Biltmore in America). But here are some highlights of the beautiful scenery we saw!








Powerscourt also had a rose garden, and the rose is my favorite flower, so you know I was an excited little girl being in an entire garden surrounded by roses! Once again, Ireland just enforced another one of my desires: I need a rose garden in my house y'all.





Blog post title - Big House by Audio Adrenaline

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alicia!
    I just read through your blog and wanted say thanks so much for sharing! I am also an "Alicia" and just came back from Ireland earlier this month, and also a Christian! Your posts really made me glad to see others with similar interests. I've subscribed to your email as well. The pictures are amazing. God is Awesome! That's all I could think of when I was at the Cliffs of Moher! I saw you're reading John MacArthur ... I grew up listening to him on the radio. Now I listen to James MacDonald. I would love to some day live and work on that beautiful Emerald Isle. Blessings to you from the midwest.
    Alicia

    ReplyDelete