“It will come to you, this love of the land. There’s no gettin’ away from it if you’re Irish.” – Gerald O’Hara, Gone With the Wind

Monday, July 18, 2011

what if there's a bigger picture? what if i'm missing out?



Two weekends ago, several of us took a tour bus to Northern Ireland for the day! We had to wake up really early, so early in fact that even the Dublin bus system didn't run early enough to get us to our tour bus, so I had made a reservation for a taxi van to pick us up that morning.

As we were all getting ready, the taxi company called me and asked if it was ok if they sent two taxi cabs instead of one van, to which I responded, sure! But Brian, one of the guys going with us, didn't realize this, and he immediately calls me as one taxi cab pulls up.

"Hey, there's only one taxi here, I thought you ordered a van?" he says.

He doesn't listen to my response as I try to explain to him the situation over the phone, and instead just turns straight to the taxi driver and bluntly says, "Hey. You're supposed to be a van."

I knew it would be a fun trip from right there.

As we arrive at the tour bus, they had trouble getting us all sorted into our right buses, because we all wanted to sit together. When the bus driver asked us where we're from, and we told him Virginia, he responded with "Ahh, the virgins!" and proceeded to call us that all day.

Thanks, Mr. Bus Driver. Thanks.

Our first destination was Carrick a rede rope bridge. While what the tour company highlights about this destination is the bridge you cross over, the real draw is the beautiful coastline. It's absolutely gorgeous! The water is so blue, similar to the Caribbean actually, which I couldn't believe!


Now the pictures from the tour company kept making a BIG deal outta this bridge. Like it was a huge, scary, rickety bridge that you crossed over open water to get his BIG thrill, to make you feel like some super adventurous world traveler.

Not.

This bridge was VERY underwhelming, and quite small. Clearly the pictures had been taken from far away for the brochure, to make it look like a long, scary bridge.

James, me, and Caroline crossing the supa scary bridge

Caroline said, "This has gotta be a joke."

To which I responded, "Can someone say TOURIST TRAP!?"

Which I think sums up that bridge well. But again, you're really there for the scenery, which is definitely worth it!

Next stop was Giant's Causeway - a natural phenomenon caused by volcanic ash that make the rocks by the coastline form perfectly geometric shapes. Or, if you'd prefer to believe the other story (which we did), the giant Finn McCool laid out the rocks to cross over to Scotland and defeat his enemy.


Creepy right?

As James aptly summarized, "Yeahhh, I'm believing the giant story over volcanic ash."

Me too.

Afterwards, we got to go into Belfast, the capital of Northern Ireland. We only got to spend an hour there though, because we ended up being pressed for time, but it was still cool to be able to see it!


Taking a quick shot from the tour bus of city hall


I later found out that right after we left Northern Ireland, several riots occurred throughout the country. It was due to the upcoming July 12 celebrations, which commemorate the Glorious Revolution of 1688 when William of Orange defeated the Catholic King James II of England, meaning England was now under Protestant control. That has always been what has come to be known as "The Troubles" between Ireland and Northern Ireland: Ireland is predominantly Catholic and wants to be independent,while Northern Ireland is predominantly Protestant and wants to be a part of the United Kingdom. Some groups, like the political party Sinn Fein, want a united Ireland, and the whole issue has been contested over for centuries. July 12 is a controversial celebration, causing the riots from the other weekend. It is interesting to see history come alive while I was there.

I had such a wonderful time exploring Northern Ireland, getting to see more of the Irish continent, experience more outside of my own little world of Virginia, as well as learn more about political issues in other nations.

What if there's a bigger picture?
What if I'm missing out?
What if there's a greater purpose, I could be living right now?
I don't wanna miss what matters
I wanna be reaching out
Show me the greater purpose
So I can start living right now
Outside my own little world

Blog post title - My Own Little World by Matthew West

No comments:

Post a Comment